Psychology is the scientific study of human behaviour and mental processes. It will help you understand how people behave and think in different situations.
Psychology A level is valued by employers and is an avenue to Higher Education. As well as keeping your options open it can lead to a wide range of careers such as human resource management, recruitment & selection, forensic psychology, work with the mentally ill or handicapped or educational psychology. Psychology is a science recognised by all Universities. Students will learn how science works and how to conduct and analyse research on humans.
At AS there are two unit exams which cover topics from different areas in Psychology.
- Memory - How does your memory work? Your memory in everyday life including the effectiveness of eye witness testimonies.
- Attachment - How the special bond develops between mother and child, what happens if this bond does not develop, the consequences of child care in early years.
- Research Methods - Methods used to collect and analyse data in Psychology.
- Social Influence - How we are affected by other people including conformity, obedience and independent behaviour.
- Individual Differences - What is abnormality? What causes mental illness? How do you treat it?
- Stress - What happens to your body under stress? How is this related to illness and how can we manage stress?.
The A level award comprises 2 additional units assessed through examinations.
- We will be covering the following topics:
- Biological rhythms and sleep
- Eating behaviour
We will be covering the following topics:
- Media Psychology
- Psychology as a Science
You could take this course to complement other advanced level courses, such as another science, or to prepare for the Advanced GCE in Psychology, which could lead you onto higher education to study Psychology or more general higher education courses.
With further training, you could go into a job related to Psychology and people such as a Counsellor, Nurse or Psychologist.
You could also go straight into a job as the AS GCE is a recognised qualification that will help you develop the skills, understanding and knowledge that many employers across lots of industries are looking for.