What happens if my child doesn't meet the criteria?
If your child does not meet the above criteria for our specialist unit, this doesn't mean they can't be supported by our Jigsaw provision in other ways. We offer an increasing level of support that we use to tailor our provision on an individual basis. This can ranged from supporting teachers in the classroom with quality first teaching, to more longer term intervention. This is outlined below:
Short term support
Long term intervention
What is Jigsaw and the Hub?
How do we support students with autism at KSCS?
We support our students by:
- Providing a sheltered, safe base for students to access for regulating as well as for timetabled 'interventions'
- Proving structure and routing for students using clear visual clarification
- Welcoming students during unstructured times (breaks, lunch and before school)
- Supporting social interactions between students and their peers
- Encouraging and developing effective home-school communication so that staff and parents can work together
- Identifying strategies that work for them
- Coaching them in using strategies effectively around the school
- Modelling the principals of good autism practice for all staff
- Proving guidance and training for all staff in sensory awareness, simplifying language, the use of visual support and breaking learning down into manageable steps