Skip to main content
Follow us on TwitterFollow us on FacebookContact Us

Ken Stimpson Community School

Home | Information | Reports Surveys Results | KSCS SEN Information Report

KSCS SEN Information Report

School Ethos

"Special educated needs students make good progress" - OFSTED May 2014

"School action students made particularly good progress last academic year due to the effective work from adults, who helped them overcome barriers to learning" - OFSTED May 2014

Key Contacts

Mr Treliving (SENCO)
Mrs Coppin (SEN Administrator)

Our Vision

We are a Local Authority Secondary School and we admit pupils from age 11 to 18. Ken Stimpson Community School also has a Nurture Group in Years 7 and 8 to support identified students through transition from primary to secondary school. We have a house system throughout the school and all students belong to one of our four houses.

Due to the success of our nurture group in Years 7 and 8, we have further expanded our provision.  Mrs Ward has been appointed to lead Year 9 nurtur.

What should a parent do if they think their child may have special educational needs?

  • Speak to a member of the Learning Support team on 01733 765950
  • Email a member of the team:
    • Mr J Treliving (SENCO) on j.treliving [at]
    • Mrs Coppin (SEN Administrator) on a.copppin [at]

How does your school ensure that children who need extra help are identified early?

Students are identified as having special educational needs through a variety of ways including the following:-

  • Performing below age expected levels – how? regular monitoring of performance by teachers and middle leaders.
  • Concerns raised by parent
  • Concerns raised by teacher. For example through our Early Identification form.
  • Liaison with external agencies e.g. Educational Psychology Service
  • Health diagnosis through a paediatrician
  • Liaison with previous school or setting, if applicable

Who will explain my child's needs and progress to me?

EHC (Education and Health Care plan)

  • Annual review meetings will be held with SENCO.
  • Parents/carers will also receive a termly report to monitor progress.
  • Parents/carers will have an opportunity to 1 x tutor consultation evening and 1 x subject evening.

Coordinated plan

  • Assess / Plan / Do / Review meetings with SENCO termly
  • Parents/carers will also receive a termly report to monitor progress.
  • Parents/carers will have an opportunity to 1 x tutor consultation evening and 1 x subject evening.

How will school support my child?

  • All teachers are teachers of SEN.
  • SENCO will provide teachers with personalised guidance for all students identified with SEN.
  • Developed provision in our Learning Centre.  The RISE is a place to support students and meet their needs using personalised strategies.
  • The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each student with special educational needs or disabilities in their class to ensure progress.
  • SENCO oversees all support and progress of any student requiring additional help across the school. This could be one of the following:
    • Learning Mentor
    • Intervention support
    • Specialist external agency support – Autism outreach / Hearing impaired

There may be a Learning Support Assistant working with your child either individually or as part of a group.

The school has three Nurture classes, which is a small class with a maximum of sixteen pupils who are supported by two qualified staff with an adapted curriculum.

Students are identified during the transition phase. Students may not be ‘Secondary Ready’ NC Level 4b Maths / English. Students may also be identified to support and manage during the initial change of educational setting and learning environment. Students in the class will have additional support and an adapted curriculum.

How are the Governors involved and what are their responsibilities?

  • The SENCO reports to the Governors annually to inform them about the progress of students with special educational needs or disabilities.
  • Bridget Holland (Governor) is responsible for special educational needs and meets regularly with the SENCO.
  • The Governors agree priorities for spending within the special educational needs budget with the overall aim that all students receive the support they need in order to make progress.

How do teachers match the curriculum to an individual child’s needs?

  • All teachers have student’s guidelines to support their planning and delivery of teaching and learning.
  • Guidelines provide personalised differentiation for all students with SEN so they can access a lesson and learn at their level.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • We ensure that all students with special educational needs are provided for to the best of the school’s ability with the funds available.
  • We have a team of teaching assistants and part of their responsibility is to deliver programmes designed to meet individual or groups of student's needs.
  • The budget is allocated on a needs basis. The students who have the most complex needs are given the most support.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

Different students will require different levels of support in order to help them make progress and achieve their potential.

  • All students’ academic progress is reported termly and this is monitored by faculty and pastoral leaders.
  • By reviewing student's targets on coordinated plans /EHC plans and ensuring they are being met.
  • Parents will be involved in the review meeting and the setting of new targets if necessary. A copy of the targets will be given to the parent.
  • The student is making progress academically against national/age expected levels, discussed at Progress Meetings, attended by Class Teachers, a member of the SEN team and the Senior Leadership Team.
  • Verbal or written feedback from the teacher, parent and pupil.
  • Student's may be taken off the Special Educational Needs register when they have made sufficient progress.
  • The SEN register is reviewed every term.  A student starting in Year 7 would be automatically placed on our register through transition.  These students would remain on the SEN register for a minimum of two terms.

What opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s progress?

  • We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers.
  • We therefore aim to communicate with you regularly.
  • You will be able to discuss your child's progress at parent's evenings.
  • You are also welcome to make an appointment at any time to meet with either a class teacher or SENCO.

How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • The class teacher (subject specific) or the SENCO (generic) can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home.
  • If your child has complex special educational needs or a disability they may have Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health Care Plan (EHCP), which means that a formal meeting will take place annually to review your child’s progress.
  • If your child has a coordinated plan specific targets and outcomes will be set with key workers identified to achieve these goals. This means that a formal meeting will take place termly to review your child’s progress.
  • Recommendations from external agencies e.g. Autism outreach worker, will be shared with you so that strategies can be implemented at home and school.
  • If a class teacher needs to discuss an issue with you, it will be done privately and strategies to support your child will be offered.
  • There is a homework club in school after school to support any pupils who have been unable to complete their home learning.

How do you measure my child’s progress?

  • As a school we measure student progress in learning against national age related expectations.
  • The class teacher continually assesses each student and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed. All students should have PLC’s (Personal Learning Checklists) to clearly identify gaps in knowledge and/or understanding.
  • We track student progress from their admission throughout their school life, using a variety of different methods, with some standardised tests (CATS) and examination courses (GCSE/AS/A2/Btec Level2/3).
  • Student's who are not making expected progress are identified through the termly Progress Meetings. In this meeting a discussion takes place about those pupils experiencing difficulties and what further support can be given to aid their progress.

How will my child be able to contribute their views?

  • Meetings with parents/carers and students through annual review and IEP plans.
  • Student voice with SENCO
  • Tutor consulation meetings
  • Subject parent evenings
  • Student and teacher discussions
  • Tutors

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

  • Educational Psychologists – 01733 863689 / 863792
  • Hearing Impairment Service – 01733 454460
  • Autism Outreach Worker – 01733 864009
  • Irlen Screening – 01733 765950 (KSCS)
  • Physiotherapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • ECAF (Early Intervention)
  • Visual Impairment
  • PC officer
  • We also work closely with any external agencies that we feel are relevant to individual student's needs within our school. These may include: GP, School Nurse, Clinical Psychologist, Paediatrician, Speech & Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Educational Psychologist, the Behaviour Support Service, the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) and Social Services, including Cheviots Children’s Disability Service, and Social Workers.
  • You can read our Local Offer here

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including day and residential trips?

  • We aim for all children to be included on school day trips and residential stays. We will provide the necessary adaptations, having consulted with you, to ensure that this is successful.
  • A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off-site activity to ensure everyone’s health & safety will not be compromised. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities, which will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided in school.

What training have the staff supporting children with special educational needs, had or are currently having?

  • All of our teaching assistants have had training in relevant areas of SEN, such as Dyslexia, ASD,ADHD.
  • All of our teaching assistants have had training in Child Protection.
  • All of our teaching assistants have had training in Asthma and Epilepsy, Epipen administration.
  • We have one maths specialist TA
  • We have one TA who specialises in Dyslexia

What is the pastoral, medical and social support available in the school to ensure my child’s overall well-being?

You can view our pastoral care policy here.

What support is there for behaviour, avoiding exclusion and increasing attendance?

You can view our behaviour policy here.
You can view our attendance policy here.

How accessible is the school environment?

We have made every effort to make our site accessible to students and staff of all abilities.  Students are able to access the upper levels via lifts if required and support is available to ensure movement around the building is as unrestricted as possible.

How will the school prepare and support my child when joining the school or transferring to a new school?

You can view our admission policy here.

Who can I contact for further information or to discuss a concern?

  • The first point of contact would be your child’s form teacher to share your concerns.
  • You could also arrange to meet with the SENCO.
  • Special Educational Needs policy link here.
  • PCC Parent Partnership is an organisation that provides independent advice and support for families – Marion Deeley 01733 863979

Who should I contact if I am considering whether my child should join the school?

  • Contact Mrs Gwilliam (Senior Receptionist), to arrange a meeting and tour of the school.
  • If your child has a special educational need or a disability you could contact the SENCO who will discuss how the school could meet your child’s needs.

Ken Stimpson Community School
Staniland Way
PE4 6JT (Sat Nav users: PE4 6WR)